77 Bloor Street West, Suite 600  Toronto, Ontario  M5S 1M2

416 489 8890  steve@benmor.com

Canada Child Tax Benefit: Which separated parent gets it?

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is responsible for administering the Canada Child Tax Benefit. The benefit is a tax-free monthly payment for children under the age of 18 and is intended to help families with the cost of raising their children.

In situations involving separated or divorced parents, CRA pays the benefit to the parent who resides with the child and who primarily fulfils the responsibility for the care and the upbringing of the child. According to CRA, this is generally the mother, and therefore in situations of separation or divorce, CRA presumes the mother to be entitled to the benefit.

In cases where both parents claim the benefit, CRA will conduct a review to determine which parent qualifies for the Canada Child Tax Benefit. If it is determined that the child resides with both parents, CRA will pay one parent for six months and then rotate the payments to the other parent for the next six months.

Read More: What Are The Top 10 Points Every Separated Parent Should Know About The Canada Child Benefit

Details of this and further information can be obtained at the CRA website at www.cra-arc.gc.ca or by calling toll-free 1-800-387-1193.